Sygnum Bank in 2019 – a look back on a year of firsts
2019 has truly been a momentous year of firsts for Sygnum - the world’s first digital asset bank and the first to go live; the first digital asset manager in Singapore, making us the only digital asset specialist regulated in both Switzerland and Singapore. Our global trusted digital asset ecosystem has expanded with SIX in Switzerland and Project Ubin in Singapore, and we have been recognized in Switzerland as one the top 5 fintech’s, as well as blockchain innovators, by leading industry analysts.
Our journey to empower our customers to invest in the digital asset economy with complete trust has just started. Here at Sygnum Bank, we would like to thank our fantastic team, board, advisors, strategic partners – and most of all our new customers – for making 2019 such a successful and groundbreaking year. Watch our 2019 highlights video here, and we look forward to an eventful 2020 together.
1) Receives conditional Swiss banking licence
10am CET August 26 - Sygnum, along with SEBA, receives conditional banking and securities dealer licence from Swiss regulator, FINMA. This is the first time this licence has been awarded to a digital asset specialist. Watch the video here.
2) Sygnum becomes the world’s first digital asset bank 4:31pm CET August 30 – The same week, Sygnum is the first to fulfill all FINMA secondary criteria and our banking licence gains full legal force. Sygnum becomes the world’s first digital asset bank, and can now deliver secure and convenient banking services for digital assets to its customers, including institutional and private qualified investors, corporates, banks and other financial institutions. Read the story of the day here.
3) Sygnum goes live 10:35am CET – Sygnum digitally onboards its first customers and banks its first digital assets on the two most important public blockchains, Bitcoin and Ethereum. Sygnum’s new operational status is a major landmark as it represents a concrete first step towards the mainstream adoption of digital assets into regulated finance. Watch the video here.
4) First regulated digital asset manager in Singapore 31 October – Sygnum is awarded a Capital Markets Services (CMS) licence from the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Sygnum launches its innovative digital asset investment strategies for institutional and private qualified investors in Singapore, and becomes the first and only digital asset specialist to be regulated in both Switzerland and Singapore.
5) Sygnum joins project Ubin in Singapore November: Sygnum has been chosen as one of a small handful of industry partners to take part in theTemasek led “Project Ubin Phase 5”, a collaborative public-private initiative to test the use of blockchain for clearing and settlement of payment and securities, where Sygnum will contribute a solution for cross border settlement of digital securities, leveraging our in-house developed digital CHF token.
6) Sygnum Bank in top 5 Swiss fintech startups December 1: Sygnum Bank recognised as one of the “Top 5 Swiss Fintech Startups” (out of 350) in Switzerland by Netzwoche. We also retained our place in Crypto Valley VC’s top 50 Blockchain ventures.
7) Sygnum Bank and SIX acquire stake in daura December 18 – Sygnum Bank and SIX announce investments in daura. SIX’s involvement in our trusted global ecosystem for digital assets strengthens standards and streamlines workflows.